Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Kissing Santa Claus

Much to my liking (but not for long), my usual "At Work Radio Station" FM 100 is now playing non-stop Christmas tunes. Now that the weather has turned freezing, Christmas music is inevitable, and I really have no problem with it.

But today there was a problem.

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" came on, and I listened to it for the millionth time in my 20 years. A good twenty years that were spent believing that it really WAS Santa Claus that mommy was kissing. --- As opposed to daddy dressed up as Santa, because... we ALL know Santa isn't really real.

This whole time I have so innocently believed that that song was incredibly twisted and wrong as it talks about a child who witnesses her mommy cheating on her daddy with Santa Claus! (Which, by the way, is every kid's DREAM!... A dad who owns elves, flying reindeer, and has an unlimited toy supply! Forget my real dad, I'll take Santa.)

But now that I am grown up and very mature and unnaiive, I realize that that song is just sung by a Santa-believing child who see's mommy kissing who she thinks is Santa, but is really her dad.

Confusing. But I'm glad I cleared that up in my head, it's been bothering me.

2 comments:

Andrea Ingersoll said...

FM 100 - it's totally not to early for christmas music. i love it. ps - this is a comment for your last post - have you ever been to hawaii? you will fall in love before you can blink all the guys are so hot and ripped. you won't be thinking about school at all.... trust. definitely carefree. can i say that when i am married? oh well.

Anonymous said...

I have a new understanding of the once-cryptic "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" tune. Thank you, Hayley.

P.S. I sometimes listen to Christmas music in the summer -- just because. I suppose it's some form of rebellion . . . playing music for a holiday that is more than six months away, and because some people think it is absolutely wrong to listen to Christmas music other than in December. But I like it.