Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How does June 26th at 10 am sound?

Boy, oh boy, do I have news for you!

Jake asked me to be his wife on Thursday February 26th. As he puts it, he knocked my socks off. And, if I was wearing socks at that moment, I would totally second that claim. But really, shocked and surprised are great words to describe my reaction.

Here's what went down.

We'd been planning to go to the Draper Temple open house with Jake's singles ward that night. I was excited. Jake got out of class, we stopped at Quiznos for some subs, and were off to Draper. We met his ward there, and unbeknownst to me, they all knew what was soon to take place. I was wearing jeans (silly me) and they were all in Sunday attire which is why I thought the girls were clustering together and giggling at us when we walked in. I was oblivious.

We go through the temple, it is beautiful, I love it, he loves it. But he seemed a bit antsy. After the temple, and before the bus was supposed to take us back to our car we stopped at a church building for cookies and water. But Jake had a one track mind and, holding my hand tight, guided me towards the exit for a stroll around the temple. Being the sugar-craving woman I am complained about wanting my cookies and water. So we stopped and Jake scarfed his cookie while I wondered what his hurry was. I finally agreed to go outside in the wind but it. was. beautiful. The temple, the clear starry sky, and the city lights in the background were stunning. So we walked and talked and I don't think he could take it any longer because he started saying, "um" over and over. Right then I started to suspect.

All I remember from there was him saying, "How does June 26th sound?...Hayley I love you...Will you be my wife?" Something to that effect. And my head was spinning and I said yes and he slipped a ring on my finger and we hugged and kissed. He also claims I was extremely giddy, which I don't doubt.

The sad news is, we got separated from his ward, who was planning on taking pictures, but I think it made it even more special that it was just him and I.

Also, the first thing out of my mouth after I said YES was, "Did you ask my dad?" followed shortly by "Are you serious?" over and over. Those of you who know Jake know that he's sort of a jokester and I thought this might be some sort of prank. He assured me it wasn't.

"Of COURSE I asked your dad," he said, and as we walked to and rode the bus back to our car he told me how it all went down. I was very impressed.

That very day he:
Bought my ring (I currently have a loaner until the real one comes in)
Asked my dad permission
Called the temple to reserve a room
AND asked me to marry him.

What a guy. Not to mention he had a job interview amongst the flurry.

Being engaged is great and I am super excited to marry such a great, handsome (he hates that word, but he IS), funny, awesome, worthy guy. Love you Jake!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Oh I am so excited for you two!!! Congratulations!!!!! I love you hay!

Katie Lane said...

yay yay yay! I'm so excited for you two! Love you.

Andrea Ingersoll said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am not one bit shocked. You two make a great couple...seriously. You can't go wrong with a Friday morning at 10 AM. That's how I did it, and everything has worked out great for me :)

Cute story!

Tiffany said...

I'm getting teary eyed. I love your story. I laughed when you said he "scarfed" his cookie down, poor guy was so nervous. Congrats you two! I love you soooo much! Can't wait to see you (and the ring).

lauren elizabeth said...

OH cute!! Yay! Way cute story!! I'm so happy for you, Hay!

Austin - Alex - Max said...

I found you on here, now too!
But congratulations Haley! I've always loved Jake and you are certainly one of the sweetest girls around, you're a perfect match!! Brownie points for Jakes planning! :)

annie valentine said...

I love this. I'm so glad you wrote it all down, the details will count in 20 years. He's wonderful, you're wonderful. Yay!

Stacie said...

I am so happy for you. There is no better feeling than looking at the most handsome guy you've ever known and remembering that you will be with him for eternity.

Molly said...

Ya, Jake is such a great guy, woot and YOU are the great girl right next to him!