Monday, December 1, 2008

Parking Lot

It pays to be a good person. Because I am a 50% (or more) LDS Institute attender, I receive full usage of prime institute parking. Not to mention: IT'S FREE! There is only one better spot to park on all of campus, and that is reserved for faculty and the handicapped. So, I have enjoyed an almost entire semester of close parking, and my lazy side thanks me. All for being a regular Institute student.

But I'm not the only one.

The parking lot is big, and you'd think it was UVU's best kept secret. Wrong. As most student's classes start at 8 am, that is about the time that the parking lot fills right up. After that, it's a rat race. People enter the parking lot, lurking their way up and down the isles as visions of sugar-plums and one free parking spot dance in their heads. It becomes a sickness, almost, how people are so immovably determined to find one. This is their plan of attack:

They enter the parking lot. Institute students only. Feelin' pretty good.

They search for an open spot, and when it's not there, they prowl.

During their prowling, they are on the lookout for parting students who's blessed parking spot they can pilfer.

And when they find the parting student [me], they creep. Slowly creep. In their cars. Behind the student [me]. Until the student [still me] reaches her car and, in annoyance, takes her time to put her backpack in the back seat, take her coat off and put it in the backseat, put her purse in the front seat, turn on her iPod, check her phone for text messages, maybe re-applies her lip gloss, and tthheeeennnn puts her car in reverse.

Then they zoom in to their dear, dear parking spot as if they had just struck gold.

It's super irritating, I don't like it. But it could be worse, I suppose... I mean, the people could be terrorists or something.

6 comments:

Brenton said...

Same thing at the U! Except we need 75% attendance...you lucky people. Not that it matters since I'm also a regular institute atendee!

I'm not gonna lie, I've done this before too. Except maybe the purse part.

Katie Lane said...

BYU's no different, and it doesn't matter if you go to institute there! The best was one time I was going just to get something from my car. HA!

Emily said...

I hate when people take forever to get out of the stall when you are waiting! ha ha ha.

Lindsey said...

When I was in college in San Antonio, we called those people "sharks," following the "bait" to their parking spot! It didn't help when I was 40 months pregnant and didn't start class until noon... I was definitely a "shark" but usually still had to part a mile (literally!) away!

Lindsey said...

When I was in college in San Antonio, we called those people "sharks," following the "bait" to their parking spot! It didn't help when I was 40 months pregnant and didn't start class until noon... I was definitely a "shark" but usually still had to part a mile (literally!) away!

olsonick said...

What I learned from your story: young mormon adults don't care about others when they are in their cars.